Indian women are asked to stay at home to prevent stranger rapes that happen in public spaces to women who do not follow Indian culture? This puts women at risk from not being able to fight back 98% of sexual crimes against them – committed by some one they know, frequently inside or close to where they live or work.
Link shared by RenKiss : Study finds majority (98%) of India rape victims knew their attacker. Thanks RenKiss.
What is Stranger Rape Myth?
That most rapes happen outside victims’ homes in lonely or dark places, where women’s clothing or behavior (etc) ‘gets them raped’.
And what does this study i
That most sexual assaults are not crimes of impulse, and that 98% rapists know who they are going to rape, and why they are likely to get away with the crime.
Sexual criminals in India know they are generally safe. Until recently they knew almost everybody would come in their support and the victim would be silenced with shaming and blaming.
Stranger rape myth puts women at greater risks because it controls women’s freedom and movement (victims are not free or empowered to leave an unsafe place) and Voices (who do they approach without fear of being blamed).
Because of the Stranger Rape Myth there is no effort to ensure that women and men understand that the law acknowledges that everybody’s bodies and lives and sexuality belong to themselves; and most people have never heard that no matter who else they have consensual sex with and no matter how attractive the rapist finds them, nobody has the right to sexually harass, molest or assault them.
Here’s a quick look at some recent sexual crimes. None of these are ‘stranger rapes’. Each rapists knew they were unlikely to be reported or punished.
If these victims took traditional advice to prevent sexual assaults,
How far could wearing sarees or staying at home after dark have protected any of these rape victims and survivors?
Which of these rapes could have been prevented if the rapists knew they would certainly be reported and punished?
1. Mentally ill woman raped by 3 over a period of time – The matter came to light when the victim’s brother came to know during health check up of his mentally ill sister that she is six-months pregnant… the victim revealed the incident only… after her brother convinced her to name the accused.[link]
Would you say this is a natural reaction of innocent men who get provoked when they find a woman attractive?
2. Minor girl set afire for resisting rape – “The girl alleged that Soni [the rapist] caught her while she was in the fields and tried to rape her. After she raised an alarm, Soni torched her and fled from the spot,” [link]
Rapists know that sexual crimes are not taken seriously.
3. Around 11 minor girls in a residential school were allegedly being raped since the last two years by the watchman and a contractual teacher… The local Panchayat had complained about the incident to the local administration six months ago, but they did not take action… [link]
Knowing the victim has no voice encourages crimes,
The girl told her classmates about the incident but nothing could be done as the students were not allowed to go out and the main gate of the Sevashram was locked. [link]
The only thing that could control these crimes was fear of consequences.
4. Doctor booked for raping woman in hospital
Mumbai doctor on run after allegedly raping 27 year old girl in clinic
If victims felt safe outside their homes, if they knew their rights and if they had voices, would these rapists be so fearless?
5. Father arrested for rape-cum-murder of minor daughter
13-year-old girl allegedly raped by father, brother, uncle in Kerala
Click here to watch the video.
Woman hangs self after being raped by own brother in Madhya Pradesh
Teenage girl who committed suicide was raped
Like this godman, all rapists are criminals who know social norms (basically Rape Culture) favor and support them. He is another one of the 98% rapists who knew the victim.
6. Godman held for raping woman