And if Sexual Harassment is reported, the bus driver must immediately drive the vehicle to the nearest police station.
This is what we do when we take a crime; and safety, rights and freedoms of citizens seriously.
Realising that more and more women are now using public spaces and transport, and are finding them unsafe, and that safety of women and girls is ‘of extreme importance to a civilised and cultured society‘,
Supreme Court issues directions to curb sexual harassment of women.
* All states and UTs are directed to depute plain-clothed female police officers in the precincts of bus-stands and stops, railway stations, metro stations, cinema theatres, shopping malls, parks, beaches, public service vehicles, places of worship to monitor and supervise incidents of sexual harassment.
* States and UTs to install CCTV in strategic positions which itself would be a deterrent and if detected, the offender could be caught.
* Persons in-charge of the educational institutions, places of worship, cinema theatres, railway stations, bus stands have to take steps as they deem fit (IHM: I think it is clear that this would not be considered a serious step.) to prevent sexual harassment, within their precincts and, on a complaint being made, they must pass on the information to the nearest police station or the women’s help centre.
* Where any incident of sexual harassment is committed in a public service vehicle either by the passengers or the persons in charge of the vehicle, the crew of such vehicle shall, on a complaint made by the aggrieved person, take such vehicle to the nearest police station and give information to the police. Failure to do so should lead to cancellation of the permit to ply.
* States and UTs are directed to establish women’s helpline in various cities and towns to curb sexual harassment within three months.
* Suitable sign boards cautioning act of sexual harassment be exhibited in all public places including precincts of educational institutions, bus stands, railway stations, cinema theatres, parties, beaches, public service vehicles, places of worship etc.
* Responsibility is also on the passersby and on noticing such incident; they should also report it to the nearest police station or to the helpline to save the victims from such crimes.
* States and UTs would take adequate and effective measures by issuing suitable instructions to the authorities concerned including the District Collectors and the District Superintendent of Police in order to take effective and proper measures to curb such incidents of sexual harassment.
Another link: Curb eve-teasing with an iron hand, Supreme Court fiat to all States.
Is stalking of girls and women illegal in India?
Why a ban on jeans may not stop street sexual harassment of women.
Can sexual harassment be compared to Terrorism against a whole community called women?
Those charged with our safety should have a true understanding of what it is to be a survivor of sexual assault — slut or otherwise.
Sexual Assault Prevention Tips Guaranteed to Work!
Allahabad girl Aarti Yadav beats harasser, sets bike on fire
When a college principal refused to be a Taliban ally 😉
Where in India are you likely to see teenage girls doing this?
“Sometimes it seems like every single thing I do has the potential to be something ‘provocative’.”
Men in Delhi Metro women’s coaches fined Rs 32 lakh
He said, “You’re a very beautiful girl, but don’t wear such clothes…”
She started a fight between two men?
Reserved seats and coaches are not a special indulgence towards women, they are an indication of a serious social problem.
What’s the best way to fight for your rights and freedoms and to prevent Talibanization of India?
The fearlessness of the Indian ‘Eve teaser’ (sexual criminals)
An email from an American reader : “He then said… ‘..my wife is very sexy.’”
Said Noodle strap to the Sari
Not just a pair of jeans