Thanks for sharing the link Nidaa
‘Mackintosh decided to give his daughter a taste of her own medicine by dressing just like her. He cut the legs off of an old pair of jeans and put them on. His daughter tried to remain stoic all through dinner and a game of mini-golf, but finally broke when they made a stop for milkshakes, refusing to get out of the car with him.’
He said, “I hope that young women everywhere understand their great worth. I will look like an idiot any day if that point gets across.”
So here are some comments that convey how women are supposed to understand their own ‘great worth’.
My daughter gets upset when we won’t let her by ‘sexy’ clothing. We tell her modest is hottest. Her body is for her and her husbands eyes only. And hopefully she will find the guy that loves her modesty. We know God has that special someone for her. And as a mother of two older teenage boys they tell us exactly what they think when they see girls with booty shorts on and mid drift shirts they are thinking oh she looks so pretty. They are thinking she is trashy and easy. Thank God they choose modest girlfriends. And treat them like ladies. Love this dad!
1. Why tell a young girl her body is everybody’s business and belongs to her future ‘husband’s eyes only’?
Here is what Will Smith said, and I agree.
How can you teach her that you’re in control of her body? If I teach her that I’m in charge … she’s going to replace me with some other man when she goes out in the world. ..She has got to have command of her body.
2. ‘Modest is hottest’ is contradictory – and both objectify women’s bodies and both are meant to control women’s sexuality.
Why must an adult fit into somebody’s ideas of ‘hottest’?
Who decides what is “‘sexy’ clothing”? The same people who also decide who should not wear this “‘sexy’ clothing”?
3. The teenage boys will be disappointed when they realise that many women may not value their approval or opinion.
4. The teenage boys are being given the impression that women who wear short shorts deserve their disapproval. How likely are they to blame women’s clothing for sexual assaults?
5. What if these teenage boys find short shorts ‘hotter’ than modest shorts? WIll they then ‘respect’ the women they are finding attractive, or call them sluts and try to like marriageable women who have been raised to seek their approval? What if the teenage boys are not interested in women?
6. Will they judge, blame, shame, control and feel disappointed when they find that many women own their own bodies?
7. Aren’t the teenage boys being raised with a sense of entitlement?
Just like his shirt says “Best Dad Ever!” Why because he cares about the character and dignity of that little girl he hopes to give away on her wedding day!
IHM: Why make being ‘given away’ in marriage a given in that little girl’s life?
When i was a teenager i wore too much makeup. My dad walked past me one day and said…cute girls dont wear makeup. I have not worn makeup since. Funny part is my mom had talked to me about this but it didnt stop me from wearing makeup. This is why we need more GOOD dads in the home.
IHM: A woman’s worth lies in being found ‘cute’ by men?
Comment 4 – Not surprisingly,
I am a single man who admires a woman’s body but I do believe young women in school even university need to mantain decency in thier attire. Showing off all your legs and your butt cheeks is not at all attractive…it’s disgusting !
What makes some teenage sons and daughters grow up believing that women were created to make men’s world ‘attractive’?
How about – You don’t owe prettiness to anyone.?