So here is yet another statement highlighting the general ignorance (and misogyny?) that prevails with regards to sexual assaults on women and children.
“This is a social crime which depends on men and women. Sometimes it’s right, sometimes it’s wrong,” said Gaur, the home minister responsible for law and order in BJP-run Madhya Pradesh.
“Until there’s a complaint, nothing can happen,” Gaur told reporters.
What can make anybody think that rapes can sometimes be right?
1. I think, atleast partly, it’s the lack of understanding of what a sexual assault is.
2. Many Indians seem to define rape as an assault on a woman’s honor, (or her community’s honor, or on her future husband’s rights and honor)
3. Many Indians do not seem to see rape as an assault on a woman’s person, rights, dignity, personal autonomy [link] or freedom etc.
Rapist was married to the survivor = Right Rape
5. Many Indians seem to have no idea that a woman can consent or withhold consent for sex. Not being married to the partner means consent is forbidden, and being married means no consent required.
Premarital Consensual Sex = Wrong Rape
The rape survivor was sexually active = Right Rape
6. The concept of izzat/honor does not involve the victim’s right to consent or withhold consent. She is less valued than her ‘izzat‘.
It implies that when there is no ‘dishonour’ then the rape is ‘Right rape’.
(And marital rapes are not seen as dishonour – in fact marriage can make a rape honourable, which is why –Five rapists in Patna want to marry gangrape victim.)
Dishonour = Wrong Rape
No Dishonour = Right Rape
Rapist willing to marry the rape survivor= Right Rape
7. Also, it seems, sometimes when a man has been living away from his family, then sexually assaults by him are seen as ‘less wrong’ [link]
Rapist was helpless = Right rape
8. Right rapes include assaults when the criminal claims to have been provoked by what the victim did or didn’t do.
Rapist was provoked = Right rape
This includes a majority of rapes, because, “Sometimes it seems like every single thing… has the potential to be something ‘provocative’.”
(Note: This is not too different from being provoked by beards, opinions and beliefs – ‘I felt like a raped woman being told How could you wear such clothes?’)
We need massive media campaigns to make it clear that lack of consent is rape, but that’s unlikely to happen because we don’t talk about such things.
A response to: Why we think women activists should change their attitude of “wear what you like”
Here’s why I think the society should not obsess over a woman’s virginity.
“As long as the men do not understand that they CANNOT and WILL NOT get away with such behavior and criminal acts, the rape culture will not go away”
In Rape Culture, we understand that if the rapist was living alone, away from his native place, he could lose control over himself.
Classmates who rape and burn to death are not Spurned Lovers, they are dangerous, violent criminals.
Where Consensual Sex is Rape, and Forced Sex a legal right.
Making Marital Rape a legal offence is the fastest way to make it clear that Rape means forced sex, not lost Virginity or Honor.
Forced intercourse in marriage not rape: Delhi court
Forcible sex with wife doesn’t amount to marital rape: Court
Why should all acts of sexual harassment be taken seriously, even when there is no grievous physical injury?
Girls morally bound not to have sex before marriage, says fast track court judge
Who will benefit from criminalising sexual assaults within marriages?
Justice Verma Committee is inviting solutions and ideas in regards to sexual harassment/ assault/ molestation/ rape.
How Victim Blaming confuses rapists, police and the society about when exactly does non-consensual-sex becomes a crime.
“Instituting the idea of marital rape raises the specter of a man going for long periods without sex even though he’s married!”
Yet another rape that was not about lust but about aggression, revenge and putting the victim in her place.
“Girls should be married at 16, so that they don’t need to go elsewhere for their sexual needs. This way rapes will not occur.”
Would this crime have been reported if he had mercilessly raped her but not sodomised her?
The ‘Legitimate Rape’ song. Love this!