Eight things that can change the lives of girl children and women in India.
Shouldn’t Indian politicians who want to gain voters on women’s issues clarify their stances on these serious problems?
Can anyone who doesn’t care about these issues claim to be pro-empowerment of women?
To stand for women empowerment, one really needs to understand it.
Before trying to pose as champions of women’s issues, Indian politicians need to address the below issues which resonate strongly with empowerment.
1. On criminalising marital rape like any other rape
2. On banning legal polygamy and removing gender bias from Muslim Personal Law
3. On law specifically aimed against all sorts of Kangaroo courts and diktats (I’m not asking for a ban: Just a law which explicitly makes people who issue illegal ‘rulings’ as criminals, to be punished at par with those who actually execute the ‘orders’.)
4. On increased paternity leave and maternity leave at work place; and on covering health issues of pregnant women in unorganised labor sector
5. On strict laws against forced marriages and child marriages (adults marrying children should be punished too)
6. On declaring clean candidates who don’t have a misogynistic history for every seat
7. On the much-needed police reforms without which our country will never be safe for its citizens
8. On sex education and gender – sensitization at all levels
Members: Please feel free to add more issues which are seriously related to our cause and are being ignored by our politicians here.