Despite all the comments, despite the expected rape survivor blaming (for being drunk or for just being) and even though it is not reported accurately, this news is a positive indication. Because this rape survivor did not remain silent, and the alleged criminal has been ‘held’ and I am sure investigations are underway.
The father of the victim had filed a complaint with the Gurgaon Police on Sunday afternoon. According to the complaint, the woman, who had joined the company a few months ago, was among 50 employees who had gone to the club for an official get-together.
The woman said she was inebriated when a co-worker, who had also joined a few months ago, took her to a room and raped her.
“I had a few drinks with my colleagues and was not in my senses. I was on my way to my room when this guy took me to his room. It was only after I was sober again that I realized what had happened. Not just police, even my company should take some stern steps to ensure that nothing of this sort happens to anybody,” the victim told the police.
And this is how the same crime is reported in the Hindustan Times,
Manesar: woman raped by colleague at office party – Hindustan Times
According to police, the woman — a resident of southwest Delhi’s Dwarka — went to her room after the party got over around 12.30am.
She was sleeping when the accused, identified as Sumit, allegedly entered her room, locked it from the inside and raped her.
“The incident happened around 1.30-2am. The girl called her father, who immediately lodged a complaint with the resort. The resort, in turn, informed the police. A medical test confirmed rape and we arrested the accused from the resort immediately,” said Rahul Sharma, deputy commissioner of police, south district Gurgaon. He added that the accused was drunk when he entered the woman’s room.
“The accused knocked on her door repeatedly, forcing her to open it finally. The victim was also quite hung over and the accused took advantage of the situation and raped her,” said Ramphal, investigating officer, Manesar police station.
Smriti Saxena : “The accused should be strictly punished”
And here is the expected, traditional and patriarchal response which has been successfully used by our ancestors to silence rape survivors.
What does the commentator think should ‘happen’ to the rape survivor? Should she have been too ashamed to report the crime?
“and what should happen to the girl who drinks and cannot even control herself?”
And here are some more reasons why there is an urgent need to create awareness about Consent and Lack of consent in any sexual act.
What if the victim was a sex worker who changed her mind? Would it then be okay for the man to rape her?
Here are just six of the thousands of examples of the traditional methods that are employed to silence Rape Survivors.
1. After all the news n reports n protests, if women does not act a bit more cautious, she cannot always expect a policeman standing next to her for protection…..drink, njoy but to a point tht u dont loose ur senses!!!
2. It was wrong on his part to take advantage. But then I have to blame her too since she herself was in an uncontrollable state. When there are beasts surrounding you, why take the chance. Why cant one be careful and protect themselves. Whats the need to go to a club. What harm would it bring if the party was avoided. I think people no longer think or scan the surroundings but they just want pleasure, comfort and enjoyment and this is the price they pay
3. You join late night parties…………………….OK, You take drink …………………………………..OK, You loose your senses………………………..OK, You loose your ………………………………………., Police & your company should take some stern steps to ensure that nothing of this sort happens to anybody. Is their any action you would take against you………………
4. Is it totally guys fault?? What the heck if gals in our country adopts western culture then they should be comfortable with the consequences as alcohol stimulates the desire. And ya of course what happened was unfortunate as one should have control upon his desire. But we cant blame the boy completely for what happened..
5. Not to justify what happened, but ladies on outings need to know how far to go. Of course the rapist needs to be punished as per the law.
6. gorigora (chennai)16 hrs ago