Is there any doubt that we need sex education? And it should begin with teaching Indian men and women about ‘consent’. That only Yes means yes.
Link shared by Bhavna Shivalkar.
“As soon as the children attain puberty, it is natural for them to have sexual desires but when these are not fulfilled, they stray… so there should not be any minimum age limit for marriage.” [link]
One comment suggested, ‘Make prostitution legal’.
Do some people believe that all men should be provided with legal sexual partners – either wives or prostitutes, so that they don’t rape random women? This is why marital rapes and sexual assaults on sex workers are generally not seen as crimes.
Even our courts seem to believe that rapes are a natural outcome of men having no sexual partners. “In Rape Culture, we understand that if the rapist was living alone, away from his native place, he could lose control over himself.”
Society also seems to accept men straying when wives are pregnant- like in Masoom. (Read comments here – I Want To be A Dad – Radhika Vaz)
Also, does marriage protect women from sexual assaults? Take a look at these random cases [link]
1. “On October 4, a newly-married woman registered a complaint saying she was allegedly abducted and gangraped by four men at Banwasa village …”
2. “In another incident, a 13-year-old girl was allegedly raped by her 45-year-old neighbour in Rohtak, about 70 km from Delhi on Wednesday evening.”
Was the 45 year old man unmarried? Should the 13 year old have been married?
3. “In the same area, a minor, mentally-challenged Dalit girl was allegedly raped last Monday. The 15-year-old victim was allegedly lured by three women relatives in Kachchi Garhi Mohalla colony of Rohtak and then raped by a man in an abandoned house.”
4. “…a 12-year-old girl from Panipat was abducted and allegedly raped on October 3 by a distant cousin, 25. This sixth such case reported since Tuesday and the 13th in a month from the state.” [link]
6. The Pub attendant in Gurgaon where the radio cabbie was not afraid of being arrested, was also married and a mother.
But none of this makes sense to the Khaps. Here’s what one of them claimed causes rapes.
Sube Singh said “… I think that girls should be married at the age of 16, so that they have their husbands for their sexual needs, and they don’t need to go elsewhere. This way rapes will not occur,” [link]