How illegal bans on Valentine’s day and birthday parties are connected with dowry deaths and sex selection.
1. Bans/harassment/restrictions on Valentines Day and birthday parties are just two more illegal ways of preventing young Indians from interacting and choosing their own lives, and life partners.
They also make way for semi-forced arranged-marriages.
2. Such illegal bans are also bans against (perfectly legal) intercaste and inter religion ‘choice-marriages’ (Love-marriages) or ‘elopements’.
3. If choice-marriages became the norm, and communal and caste divides started disappearing, then political parties winning elections based on caste and religion would find it difficult to survive.
4. If such political parties don’t survive, then goons who they support wouldn’t be able to bully young Indians.
5. If Indian men started choosing their own partners, they might choose someone they like instead of choosing someone to repay, with dowry (illegal), all that their parents have spent for their education.
6. Illegal sexual assaults (like the ones in Managalore and in Guwahati) ensure that self reliance doesn’t come easy for Indian women – socializing, education and working (all perfectly legal) becomes difficult, and they are more likely to stay in abusive marriages.
And they are more likely to choose death over divorce.
7. All these have made India one of the worst places in the world for women. Bad enough for many Indian parents to kill their daughters.
I would like to ask C Manjula and Pramila N what they understand by Independence day, fundamental rights and freedom. Do they, like many other Indians, think Freedom is a dirty word unless it applies to those who agree with them?