Edited to add: I should change the post title to “This is what happens when men and women are not allowed to interact with the ‘opposite sex’.”
‘Arranged Marriage: The Search For Beauty‘: Gyaan for young Indian, engineers to find ‘wedded bliss’, by marrying beautiful women, was shared on a notice board in the engineering college of the blogger who posted it. Thanks for the link Anon1.
The only reason given for wanting to get married seems to be, ‘the only chance you have to indulge in wedded bliss, lies in the hallowed institution of the “Arranged Marriage”… ‘. Many Indians would see this as good values and honorable, but does this lead to happier marriages?
How informed do you think is the person who shared this gyaan? Does he sound like he has had much interaction with women, even before being “out of touch with the general Indian female population for more than four years” in the engineering college.
Do read the post and share your reactions. How much of these views are his own and how much a result of social conditioning? Where and when do you think did he have the opportunity to get this and such information? What do you think of his expectations form his future life with his life partner? Do you think he has really had a chance to find out…? Do also consider how the ad discussed in the last post would affect the possessor of this gyaan.
Here are some of the points he has made. Do you think this information will help a man find ‘wedded bliss’?
1. Your mother will not want you to marry someone too beautiful, your mother knows that a beautiful wife will tilt the scales against her as far as you are concerned.
2. Since women are extremely conscious of their looks and tend to rate themselves accordingly, a beautiful woman has a psychological advantage over a less attractive one in an argument.
3. Rest assured that your looks would be the last thing on a girl’s mind when she rates you as a prospective husband. (I am limiting myself to arranged marriages here). She will be weighing your earning potential, green-card potential etc. Even in this land of feminism, “Cosmopolitan” has articles on “How to hook a rich husband” and “The ten best places to meet successful men”.
4. You have worked hard, and wasted four of the most wonderful years of your life over where you are. You deserve to get something out of it. Do not squander your bargaining position. In other words, do not be ashamed to make your preference for beauty known.
5 .A beautiful woman “will be much easier to forgive after a fight.”
6. … a young man owes it to his “unborn children”, “to them to give them a beautiful mother.” (So that the children are good looking)
7. A beautiful wife enhances social stature.
8. And most importantly, sex will be much better if your wife is good-looking. (Doesn’t consider the chance of the wife finding him unattractive, and hence a lack of chemistry.)
9. A good-looking woman …will twist you around her little finger and make you jump through hoops. A homely woman will usually be so grateful to you for marrying her that she will treat you like a king.
10. Beautiful women are invariably very street-smart.
11. A beautiful woman is unlikely to be particularly virtuous or righteous.
12. A beautiful woman is more likely to “stray” after marriage too. The more lovely a woman is, the more likely is she to be propositioned by her male colleagues or friends. Ergo, she is subject to much more temptation than her homely counterparts. Think about this… how would it be if women kept asking you, a man, to make love to them? How many times would you refuse?
13. Do not ever think, “But I am not so good-looking anyway, what right have I to demand a lovely girl?” Since Man started walking the earth, it has been the man’s wealth that has been traded off for the woman’s beauty.