Once at a party, a well meaning gentleman walked up to a group of ladies engrossed in a heated discussion and said he would like to join and he wouldn’t be a bore because he could talk about ‘pickles, papads and maids servants‘ too. Everybody looked at his wife 😀 Now everybody knew what ‘hot & spicy’ conversations the couple had 😈
What we were talking about was ‘hot and spicy’ too. I remember it was election time and we were arguing about various gods and their self proclaimed saviours.
Bechdel’s Test and some of the comments on this post got me thinking. What do two (or more) women talk to each other about?
And what do all the other people talk about?
When two women talk, how much do they talk about men? What else do they talk about?
I made a list of what I talked about recently when I spoke to other women.
1. My sister(44) – (on phone) About my brand new N97, her iPhone that her daughter has taken, her career (she is a workaholic) , a relative’s accident and about crime in Delhi.
2. A very old friend (45) – Her health, SPS Rathore case, how she once supported BJP but is disappointed now. Her ailing mother.
3. My mom (68) – The AC in her car has problem again. Should she sell the car? How was my water pump working. We also checked property prices in NOIDA and compared them with Gurgaon (on Magicbricks and other sites) and Pune. Her gorgeous turquoise chiffon saree.
4. My daughter (19) – Summer jobs. A totally new hair cut. Summer clothes. New ‘chappals’. Bodyshop and their social awareness. A cute boy. Driving classes. Yoga classes. Water melons and mangoes. Another good looking boy. Her moon-sign. How much she hates ‘Twilight’ and why.
5. An aunt (56) – (on phone) Same gotra marriages are wrong but Khap Panchyats can’t take decisions for people. Her dad (my grand dad). And what an awesome father he was. She wondered if she should buy a flat in India.
6. Another friend (45) – How I never call her and now she was leaving it to me to plan where we meet. 😀 Her new shoes, a red jacket I once owned and how she still can’t see why I hate high heels.
7. Another friend (45) – About how her husband and her son hardly ever communicate and how much this stresses her. Her job, colleagues, some work-politics etc.
8. A sister in law (48) – About an award she recently received at work, about a holiday they plan to take, and about our buying service apartments in Gurgaon, Central Park together. Good investment?
Also about how she can never learn how to use the internet like ‘everybody else does’. 😆
9. Another sister in law (52) – About how one must plan for old age. Her yoga classes. Her daughter’s 30th birthday and our secret plans for it through facebook 🙂 My son’s career plans. My daughter’s haircut.
10. Another sis in law (34) – Our favorite colours in clothes we buy – mehendi (henna) green, mustard and ‘skin’ colour 🙂 Her daughter’s swimming classes. How her son spelled ‘camel’ with a ‘K’. 🙂
What were your last few conversations about? I tag all those who are reading this post – I would love to know what other people, a man to another man and two women to each other, talk about in their day to day lives.