I read a comment that says Religion Makes Us Kind and Good.
I have no doubt that religion was created to make us kind and good.
But unfortunately for centuries (and that is a lot of trial time!)
1. Religion has been open to misuse and misinterpretation, and has always been open to modifications by local social customs. Most of the time the followers can’t make out religion from custom.
So widows are still looked down upon, girls are still not individuals, they are a family’s ‘honor‘, innocent babies born to unwed mothers are still left to grow up in orphanages, homosexuality is still considered a sin and some of us (including women) are always born lower than the others.
2. And all religions are biased against women. Most religions don’t even talk about gender equality!
Laws not religion support women and for that, in India, we better thank our founding fathers!!
3. All religions were suited for the time they were created. Maybe.
Or were they created with the sole aim to gain power? Whatever … Today most religions have definitely outlived their use.
Today we see ignorance and superstitious dogma being passed off as ‘tradition‘ and religion all the time.
I wish I could believe that religion makes us Kind and Good!
I think it’s not religion but our Constitution that has changed the lives of Indian citizens and even more powerfully, of Indian women.
Law helped Raja Ram Mohan Roy ban Widow Burning. (Sati).
It gave us Equal status.
Gave women (and other unequal citizens) the Right to vote.
Made giving and taking of dowry an offense.
Gave us the Domestic Violence Act,
– This made marital rape a crime
– And this also protects live in partners from violence and abuse.
Made sex-selective abortions a crime.
Made Polygamy an offense.
Gave women equal right to their children (not sure if it is still totally unbiased).
Gave equal property rights to women. (lots more needed here)
Sexual harassment was made a crime.
It allowed the children born to unwed mothers to get maintenance and a share in their father’s property.
Basically undid a lot of damage done by religion, culture and tradition.
What makes an offender think twice, fear of God or fear of jail?